[Tor-BSD] Relays don't work on FreeBSD 10.2p3

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Sun Sep 20 18:04:10 EDT 2015

Malcolm Matalka:
> George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> writes:
>
>> Alfred Meyer:
>>> FreeBSD and Tor have been installed with freebsd-update and pkg, only arm was
>>> built from sources.
>>>
>>> I've just tested on a different machine (this one i386, the former is amd64)
>>> and was able to reproduce the problem. However, only jailed relays seem to be
>>> affected.
>>
>> Ah, got it.
>>
>> I know a lot of people run Tor from FBSD jails... so I hope others can
>> chime in.
>
> I tried to run a tor-relay in a jail on Linode (KVM) and tor-relay would
> use considerable amount of CPU and eventually just cause the system to
> crash.  I couldn't find anything in the logs and I don't really know how
> to debug these things so I ended up just giving up on it.

That may not be a useful comparison, as jail(8) is very lightweight in
most configuration contexts.

But if that jail happens to be limited in available CPU, then it's very
possible.

I have a bridge running on an old VIA 800MHz board, and until recently,
it crashed every week or two.  Since it hit 0.2.6.7 (the most recent
security/tor-devel in FreeBSD ports/pkg), it stopped crashing.

And like you Malcolm, there was nothing in the logs to indicate anything.