[Tor-BSD] warnings on a freeBSB exit

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 18:51:52 EST 2016

> On 5 Dec. 2016, at 10:37, pa011 <pa011 at web.de> wrote:
>
> I try to get more involved with FreeBSD and currently do tests on a very small 256MB RAM vps.
>
> arm - freeBSD (FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE-p11)   Tor 0.2.8.9 (recommended)
>
> no firewall in place, nore on the relay or on ISP side
>
> tcpdump is showing traffic both way on port 9001
>
> telnet proofs that the port 9001 is reachable
>
> why do I get the warnings below so that the exit is not showing up?
>
> [WARN] Your server (x.x.x.x:9030) has not managed to confirm that its DirPort is reachable. Relays do not publish descriptors until their
>   ORPort and DirPort are reachable. Please check your firewalls, ports, address, /etc/hosts file, etc.
> [WARN] Your server (x.x.x.x:9001) has not managed to confirm that its ORPort is reachable. Relays do not publish descriptors until their
>   ORPort and DirPort are reachable. Please check your firewalls, ports, address, /etc/hosts file, etc.

Your relay can't confirm it is reachable from the outside, so it won't
join the tor network.

Where are you telnetting from?
Have you tried elsewhere on the Internet?
Perhaps it's dropping connections due to low memory or file descriptors?
You could try with 512MB, which is the minimum to run Tor. An Exit needs
about 768MB - 1GB.

What does your relay log about its address when it first starts up?
(Please don't redact the addresses. It makes it really hard to help you.
We need to know if they are the same or different.)

You could also try setting the Address torrc option to the IPv4 address
of the VPS, but that will only help if tor is guessing the wrong address
on the VPS.

> [WARN] Being a directory cache (default) with less than DIRCACHE_MIN_MB_BANDWIDTH MB of memory is not recommended and may consume most of the available resources, consider disabling this functionality by setting the DirCache option to 0

That's an unhelpful message, it's meant to read "300 MB".
Logged as:

> torrc:
>
> ExitRelay 1
> RunAsDaemon 1
> Log notice file /var/log/tor/log
> ORPort 9001
> ControlPort 9051
> CookieAuthentication 0
> HashedControlPassword xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> RelayBandwidthRate 8000 KB
> RelayBandwidthBurst 10000 KB
> DirPort 9030
> CellStatistics 1