[Tor-BSD] Tor exit notice on Port 9030

pa011 pa011 at web.de
Fri Jan 6 17:27:41 EST 2017

Am 06.01.2017 um 22:56 schrieb Ivan Markin:
> pa011:
>> Trying to solve my own problem I found out that most of the
>> exit-notices in BSD world don’t work or at least not as you might
>> expect. Nearly all BSD exits who don’t use DirPort 80 show up their
>> exit notice when you call the IP in the browser.
>>
>> Probably nobody of the abused would scan all ports to find a abuse
>> notice for example on port 9030.
>>
>> So I would appreciate if somebody could show here the little trick
>> for FreeBSD, how somebody browsing could see the exit-notice while I
>> am using DirPort 9030?
>
> You can:
>   o Run static HTTP server (httpd, nginx, etc...) that will show
> whatever you like on port 80.
>     * Optionally redirect '/tor/' to tor itself (proxy_pass in nginx)
>   o Redirect all TCP traffic on port 80 to your DirPort (e.g. via pf).
> It's seems to be a poor idea to me (why not just run DirPort on 80?) but
> you can do this.

Placing DirPort at 80 in FreeBSD gives the following warnings - I think because there is a binding issue on ports below 1024:
Jan 06 23:15:40.000 [notice] Opening Directory listener on 0.0.0.0:80
Jan 06 23:15:40.000 [warn] Could not bind to 0.0.0.0:80: Permission denied

So yes probably best to redirect all TCP traffic on Port 80 to Port 9030, otherwise no one browsing the relay address ever sees the exit notice like on most other relays.

Thanks Paul