[CDBUG-talk] Re: A question to start things. . .

Chris Allegretta chris.allegretta at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 13:38:11 EST 2004

Hello all,

My name is Chris Allegretta.  I originally started using Unix back in
1995 when I was a sophomore at Plattsburgh State University.  I have
experimented with the BSDs several times, once in a work setting using
OpenBSD for an Army contractor's DNS server replacement.  However I
never quite 'got' BSD and had always come back to using one Linux
distribution or another, ultimately settling on Debian back in 1998.
Until recently, that is, when I became disillusioned with kernel
issues and gained a lot of respect and admiration for the BSD
development teams.

In my spare time, I have contributed or started a number of projects.
First was a chat program called Summink (of the Ew-too line) which I
worked on the next revision of called PG96.  Then in 1999 I wrote
CMatrix which is based on the Matrix website's screensaver, but for
the Linux console and X11.  Later that year I started work on what
would become GNU nano, the GPLed clone of the University of
Washington's excellent PICO text editor.

Professionally I have worked as a sysadmin of various machines,
including Windows NT, Digital Unix, Irix, Solaris, HP-UX and Linux
machines.  I have not had a great deal of BSD experience at work, but
at home I have finally settled on FreeBSD and run it exclusively on my
home system.  I currently work at GE Global Research as a Systems
Analyst in the High Performance Computing department, which is mostly
Irix and Linux currently.  However I know a number of the Unix support
staff there run various flavors of BSD at home (and I'd be surprised
if at least one of them did not subscribe to this list).

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all.