[CDBUG-talk] samba encryption

Patrick Muldoon doon at inoc.net
Wed Mar 2 08:09:23 EST 2005

Steve Moon wrote:

>>VPN   / IPSec?
>>

> Well, that's just it. Looks like if I have windows 200X servers and
> Windows XP (maybe 2000) clients, I can enforce an IPSec-only
> communication, and specify that either or both of AH (header) and ESP
> (payload) encryption/signatures are used.
>
> This seems unlikely to interoperate with BSD/Linux/etc. hosts running
> Samba, which since that's where our file sharing is mostly done from
> constitutes half of the connection.

I have run IPSec successfully between OpenBSD and Windows XP.

http://www.oav.net/mirrors/xp2obsd.pdf

The problem with this becomes scaling, as the only way I know how to do
it is preshared keys.

Hope that helps,

-Patrick

--
Patrick Muldoon
Network/Software Engineer

Don't try to out-weird me, three eyes. I get weirder things than you in
my breakfast cereal.
    - Zaphod Beeblebrox, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy