[CDBUG-talk] mount_smbfs question

Jonathan Franks jonathan.franks at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 11:16:06 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:31:01 -0500, Patrick Muldoon <doon at inoc.net> wrote:
> Jonathan Franks wrote:

<SNIP>

> how are you routing between the 2 VLANS?

There is a layer 3 card in the 6500 that handles this.

> Any Access lists that would be blocking SMB? Or any access lists on the
> target server that would prevent it from talking to a non local (same
> subnet IP)

No.

> Can you ping the the IP on VLAN20?

Yes.

> can you nmap the ip in question?

Yes.

> Does the Server in VLAN 20 have a Default GW or a route to be able to
> see you FreeBSD box.

Yes.

> If you reverse it, go to the server in VLAN 20, and try to ping /
> connect to the freebsd box what happens?

It works. :-)

> Just some quick thoughts of the top of my head.
>
> not sure if it matters when acting as a client...
> from /usr/local/etc/smb.conf

<snip>

I don't have this file because samba is not installed, but it was a
good thought..

> -Patrick

Thanks for the thoughts, Patrick. The whole thing seems very strange
to me. Unless I am missing something, it seems like it **should**
work. I'm going to try one of the other FreeBSD boxes that we have on
yet another vlan to see if I can reproduce these results as soon as I
get a few free minutes, and I'll post my results.

-Jonathan