[CDBUG-talk] measuring HD activity

Jaime jaime at snowmoon.com
Mon Dec 31 15:52:47 EST 2007

	Anyone know a good way to check for heavy hard drive thrashing?
Ideally, I'd like to know which process is doing it, too.

	I have some servers at work that I think the users (middle and high
school students, in this case) might be pushing kind of hard.  They
complain about performance issues, but they seem intermittent.  I'm
wondering if this will trace back to one or more users trying to
really push HD reads and writes without realizing they were doing that.

	One suspicion is that they're trying to store their video editing
projects in their networked home directories.  Another is web caches
being hit really bad in some way.

	Any suggestions?

							Thanks in advance,
							Jaime