[CDBUG-talk] OT - Looking for help and advice.

Jonathan Franks jonathan.franks at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 00:39:31 EDT 2007

On 3/22/07, Steve Moon <steve.moon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure about BSD, but Linux has a nifty "lsusb" command that will dump
> out all sorts of nifty details about the connected device. That might give
> you some more unique strings to try on google to see if anyone else is
> working on such a project. If you don't have a linux box handy, I'm 99% sure
> the knoppix livecd would have the lsusb utility.
>
> Ultimately you'd probably need to roll-your-own usb device driver, which
> is not going to be trivial. However it's probably possible, assuming their
> protocol can be decoded (I assume they aren't going to provide any specs).

Well, it's certainly beyond my level of expertise, but my real goal here is
to try to pressure MedTronic to provide support.

Their mac comment is total crap since windows didn't support USB well until
> XP came out, around the same time OSX did. However there may be something to
> it -- if the system as a whole had to go through FDA certification maybe
> that component had to be basically static so as not to jeopardize the whole
> thing.

This may well be true, but what really ticks me off is that the
instructional cdrom that arrives with the pump has a Windows version, a
MacOS9 version, and a MacOSX version.  This implies to me that they have the
development resources, and it baffles me that they simply chose not to use
them. To make matters worse, it would seem that we are talking about a web
based application.

Not to be pedantic, but, WTF?

-Jonathan