[CDBUG-talk] [Fwd: Re: Captive portal on different subnet?]

Jaime jaime at snowmoon.com
Fri Jun 27 12:59:13 EDT 2008

On Jun 27, 2008, at 12:32 PM, Dave Del Debbio wrote:
> Recently I was investigating doing a transparent proxy with
> tinyproxy/dan's gardian or using squid.

	FWIW, I have been using FreeBSD, a custom made ipfw-focused bash
script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, squid, DansGuardian, and some data
files from squidGuard since CIPA became active in July 2001.  (IIRC)
That hardware has not been replaced or upgraded until now, although
its scheduled to be replaced (pre-emptively / nothing went wrong yet)
this summer.  Other than occasionally having trouble finding the
dansguardian-x.y.z.tar.gz files of source code, there has really never
been a problem with the system.

	Kids figuring out a way around it, sure.  But that is because (1) the
very idea of web filters is inherently flawed, (2) there is about a
thousand of them working on "the problem" (as they define it) and
they're not significantly effected if they miss a homework deadline,
(3) there is only one of me, I'm over-burdened, and I am *very*
adversely effected if I miss more deadlines than I usually do.

	But the system has been very good to us.  There are even blacklisting
services out there that will provide DanGuardian compatible data files
for a monthly, annual, etc. subscription service.

							Jaime