[CDBUG-talk] FW: alternative for 'screen'?

Patrick Muldoon doon at inoc.net
Thu May 1 08:41:12 EDT 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 7:03 AM, JV Hays wrote:

> After installing FreeBSD 7 under VMWare this morning I see to my
> dismay
> there is no port available for the GNU screen program (evidently there
> is/was a security flaw). What do you guys recommend as an alternative?

Unless I am missing something?

[doon at virt1 ~]$ cd /usr/ports/sysutils/screen
[doon at virt1 /usr/ports/sysutils/screen]$ cat pkg-descr
Screen is a full-screen window manager that multiplexes a physical
terminal
between several processes (typically interactive shells).
Each virtual terminal provides the functions of a DEC VT100 terminal
and, in
addition, several control functions from the ANSI X3.64 (ISO 6429) and
ISO
2022 standards (e.g. insert/delete line and support for multiple
character
sets). There is a scrollback history buffer for each virtual terminal
and a
copy-and-paste mechanism that allows moving text regions between
windows.

WWW: http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/
[doon at virt1 /usr/ports/sysutils/screen]$ uname -a
FreeBSD virt1.localdomain 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb
24 10:35:36 UTC 2008     root at driscoll.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/
src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Base install of FreeBSD-7.0  64 Bit , Running in VMWare fusion.

-Patrick

--
Patrick Muldoon
Network/Software Engineer

Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.