[CDBUG-talk] OT: iSCSI SAN question

Patrick Muldoon doon at inoc.net
Tue Mar 17 21:27:51 EDT 2009

On Mar 17, 2009, at 9:13 PM, Jonathan Franks wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I'm looking to build an iSCSI SAN. The trouble is that the pricing
> coming in
> from our vendors is in the 20-30K range and this just won't fly.

I have both an Equal Logic and and a Netapp that do Iscsi.  We
primarily use the Netapp for NFS,  and the EqualLogic for Iscsi.  But
do have some iscsi targets on the netapp. But alas both of those are
in the > $30K range :)

On a somewhat related note, I've been less than impressed with iscsi
performance with the FreeBSD software initiator. In our tests it has
been horribly slow, and unstable.  We actually wound up replacing that
box with an Box running CentOS, and it literally runs circles around
the BSD solution.  Pity... ..

Anyway I've been playing with updating my NAS at home, and have moved
to running open solaris on it, and so far I am quite happy with the
performance out of it.  But in my searching I came across this.

http://www.nexenta.com/corp/

They appear to have a free trial, not sure if is is of any use or the
like in building your own.

it also led me to this.

http://www.pogolinux.com/nexenta.php

again not sure on how any of them actually work, but might give you
some more things to look at.  At home I have very little need for
iscsi targets as all of my boxes are totally happy with NFSv4.

--snip---

> Also, more on topic - should we have ourselves a meeting?

I should be able to come to / host a meeting if everybody is up for
one.  I got a new projector for the office so if we wanted to actually
have presentations  :)

-Patrick

--
Patrick Muldoon
Network/Software Engineer

Base 8 is just like base 10, if you are missing two fingers.  - Tom
Lehrer