[CDBUG-talk] CDBUG January Meeting!

Brian Callahan bcallah at devio.us
Fri Jan 9 02:41:36 EST 2015

On 01/08/15 23:31, Steve Moon wrote:
> Just a thought -- the Perl Mongers have a meeting scheduled
> for January 26. We've "invited" Jeff Thalhammer (creator of
> Perl::Critic) to give a presentation, which he will do remotely. I
> realize Perl and BSD are not the same, but perhaps we could combine
> the meetings this month since I suspect there is a fair amount of
> overlap in interests...

Why not both? Certainly Perl and *BSD have some overlap and there was
recently a really well done NYC*BUG meeting on regexp (essentially a
regexp crash course).
http://www.nycbug.org/index.cgi?action=event&do=view&id=10341#10341
And yes, these are absolutely the kinds of meetings that would be
appropriate for CDBUG. However...

> From Pat Cronin:
> Jeff Thalhammer will be presenting a talk at our upcoming meeting
> on January 26th. The abstract for his talk:

> Perl::Critic is a static analyzer that can instantly find
> bugs, reveal inconsistencies, and enforce best practices
> in your code. Perl::Critic is a cheap and effective tool for
> dramatically improving code quality. In this seminar, you
> will learn how to:
>
> * Use Perl::Critic in several different scenarios
> * Convince your teammates to use Perl::Critic
> * Find the right configuration for your team
> * Write your own custom rules for Perl::Critic

> I've reserved the large meeting room (the "Multipurpose room") at the
> East Greenbush library for this talk to make room for more people than
> our usual meetings. I haven't worked out an exact time for Jeff's talk
> yet, but it'll probably be 6:30 or 7PM. Please consider inviting any
> CS student groups or colleagues you think might be interested. Or, if
> you know some groups but don't want to contact them, please let me
> know of their existence, and I'll reach out! I think we're quite lucky
> to have Jeff "speak" at our meeting, and I'd like to maximize the
> benefit this area can get from it.

...this list is not the appropriate place to post meetings for other groups.

I fully believe you had the best intentions. But it opens the door to
this list no longer serving its intended purpose.

~Brian