[CDBUG-talk] CDBUG January Meeting!

Brian Callahan bcallah at devio.us
Fri Jan 9 18:33:12 EST 2015

On 01/09/15 18:15, Steve Moon wrote:

>     Why not both? Certainly Perl and *BSD have some overlap and there
>     was recently a really well done NYC*BUG meeting on regexp
>     (essentially a regexp crash course).
>     http://www.nycbug.org/index.cgi?action=event&do=view&id=10341#10341
>     And yes, these are absolutely the kinds of meetings that would be
>     appropriate for CDBUG. However...
>
>     ...this list is not the appropriate place to post meetings for
>     other groups.
>
>     I fully believe you had the best intentions. But it opens the door
>     to this list no longer serving its intended purpose.
>
>     ~Brian
>

> Both is obviously the default -- that's why there are two separate
> groups. As no clear agenda has been put forward for a meeting this
> month I was merely making a good-faith suggestion that we *could*
> coordinate with another groups meeting and swell the ranks of the 4-5
> strong Perl meeting with the 5-10(?) strong BSD group, possibly make
> some new acquaintances, and who knows, evangelize BSD a bit too. With
> some planning ahead of time it could be a joint meeting of interest to
> all.
>
> Or not.

I know what you mean. But there is a CDBUG meeting this month on
FreeBSD's geom. It'll be usual time and place. I'm just waiting on a
finalized spiel.

I have no problem working with other user groups and I definitely don't
want to discourage people from attending other user group meetings. But
in my experience, doing joint meeting well requires some really good
planning. I would want such a thing to be the most beneficial for both
groups. I just don't think for this month there's enough time to do it
right.

~Brian