[CDBUG-talk] UPCOMING: May 12 - Ian Sutton on "SystemBSD: custom DBus daemons emulating systemd behavior for OpenBSD"

Brian Callahan bcallah at devio.us
Wed May 6 18:10:16 EDT 2015

Hi everyone --

Next Tuesday, May 12, 6:45 PM at INOC, we will have Ian Sutton, a
student at Syracuse University and 2014 and 2015 OpenBSD GSoC
participant, give a talk on "SystemBSD: custom DBus daemons emulating
systemd behavior for OpenBSD."

I made a mistake previously saying this meeting was scheduled for May
13. The meeting is May 12. Sorry for the mistake! Hope to see everyone
there!

~Brian

Abstract:
This talk will concern my work with the OpenBSD Foundation in the summer
of 2014 involving writing four DBus daemons which emulate the behavior
of some systemd interfaces, mentored by Landry Breuil (landry@) and
Antoine Jacoutot (ajacoutot@). It will cover the rationale for this
project idea (GNOME desktop support, etc.) as well as the technical
details and current status of the project. Additionally, I will discuss
my experience with the project as well as some thoughts and criticisms
of systemd in the context of Linux's init/job control vs. BSD's.
Finally, I'll end by discussing what I have found as a relatively new
*BSD user switching from Linux and why I am happy with such a choice.

Bio:
Ian Sutton is a senior undergraduate computer engineering student at
Syracuse University's College of Engineering and Computer Science. He
has been inseparable from computers since he learned to read, and
starting using Linux around 2006 until he mostly switched to OpenBSD in
2013. He lives in Houston, TX, where he was born and raised.