[CDBUG-talk] FTP user for Wordpress Management

Patrick Muldoon doon at inoc.net
Fri Aug 12 14:14:45 EDT 2016

> On Aug 12, 2016, at 12:44 PM, Fongaboo <freebsd at fongaboo.com> wrote:
>
> On #1, I could swear I used to make FTP-only accounts just by setting shell to nologin, but then even FTP login failed.

This is controlled by the RequireValidShell  config option in proftpd.conf.  You need to make sure that whatever shell you pick is listed in /etc/shells  and by default nologin isn't there.  So adding /sbin/nologin to /etc/shells will prevent people from logging in, but still allow them to FTP.  You can also turn off  RequireValidShell in proftpd.conf to get the same thing, but I would probably not do that..

> On #2, is the only way to do this to add the user to the wheel group? Which is kind of scary, amirite?

to remove some from the chroot, you do not need to set them to wheel (which can be very scary depending upon configs of things like sudo)..

But  you just need to add them to say a special group (such as nochroot)  and modify your proftpd.conf

DefaultRoot ~ users,!nochroot

which will not subject users of the nochroot to defaultroot (Chroot)

-Patrick

--
Patrick Muldoon
Network/Software Engineer

Sure it's user-friendly...if you know what you're doing.