[CDBUG-talk] Feb mtg

Patrick Muldoon doon at inoc.net
Sun Feb 28 09:19:26 EST 2016

> On Feb 27, 2016, at 12:02 AM, James L. Lauser <james at jlauser.net> wrote:
>
> FreeBSD, nginx, r...something, and PHP?

alright so it should have been

FNPR

Buy yes Nginx as opposed to Apache (But still use apache in some cases), just due to speed and memory footprint, but apache 2.4 is pretty nice as well so depending upon use case, they can be interchanged.

Ruby  / Rails as opposed to PHP (although I do keep meaning to look at R...)

And Postgresql as opposed to Mysql. I've never been a fan of Mysql, since early on it appeared to be basically be a select interface to the file system, whereas as postgresql had things that I needed (Foreign Keys). And now that Oracle owns mysql. and they withhold patches and the like from the Community version for X amount of time trying to get you pay them, and their licensing, and the fact that they are oracle makes it even less appealing now.  If the only reason you are using mysql is because you always have, take a look at postgresql, I find  it to be a much nicer database system.

-Patrick

--
Patrick Muldoon
Network/Software Engineer

Sure it's user-friendly...if you know what you're doing.