[CDBUG-talk] DHCP server?

Patrick Muldoon doon at inoc.net
Wed Jul 13 10:11:00 EDT 2016

> On Jul 13, 2016, at 9:45 AM, Jaime <jaime at snowmoon.com> wrote:
>
> HA?  Really?  How hard is that to set up?  That could be really helpful.
>
> What about static leases?  Is the syntax pretty simple for that?

it isn't that hard at all,

https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-00502/0/A-Basic-Guide-to-Configuring-DHCP-Failover.html

covers the basics of it.

And then just set helper addresses to forward requests to both of them, and based on the settings they will agree who assigns the lease

We normally build a common file that includes all the address information, and keep that synced between the servers, and then just include it from dhcpd.conf on both servers (Which have the primary/secondary config info)

I've actually not used it with static Assignments, but I don't see why it shouldn't just work, since i don't think it matters who answers in that case since both sides would be providing the same static  address.   With dynamic addresses, you need to make sure you don't assign multiples or the same one to different clients..

-Patrick

--
Patrick Muldoon
Network/Software Engineer

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my rocketship underpants don't help." -Calvin