[Semibug] Food thoughts

Mike Wayne semibug15 at wayne47.com
Mon Nov 6 12:26:36 EST 2017

On Sat, Nov 04, 2017 at 07:04:41AM -0400, Josh Grosse wrote:

> It's hard to find a good Mole dish of Texas, the further north
> you go the more sugar they seem to add to it.

Back in the 80's, a chef who worked in Mexican Village chose to
start his own restaurant (Don Carlos).  He bought a dive bar in
Allen Park and cooked some of the best Mexican food I've ever had
(even compared to food in Mexico). His mole was amazing.

He then bought a bigger upscale place in Dearborn, food was not the
same and the place went away. Someone (not sure if it was him) tried
again with a country bar in Clinton Twp.  Again the food was simply
not the same and it's now closed as well.

I've done a bit of digging, it's a very complicated sauce with
dozens of ingeredients and the recipe seems to vary highly by region.
I did not, until finding Carnival market, have a good supply for
the ingredients.

I'd love to experiment but it's a daunting, time consuming process.