[Semibug] OpenBSD IPv6 & dhcp

Josh Grosse josh at jggimi.net
Wed Mar 18 13:46:39 EDT 2020

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 11:17:38AM -0400, Mark Moellering wrote:
> Question to those who know more about OpenBSD and IPv6
>
> Just so I understand properly, if I add to my interface "inet6
> |||||autoconf",|
>
> |so that the whole thing looks like;|
>
> |<<<
> |

> |dhcp|
>
> |inet6 autoconf
> |

> This should add IPv6 capability??? Is this acceptable and will it pull in
> both the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses from my provider? Or will it cause issues,
> trying to set up both an IPv4 and IPv6 address to the same interface?

The "autoconf" keyword uses SLAAC for IPv6 configuration, it does not
uses DHCP.  OpenBSD's DHCP is for IPv4 only.  Your ISP should be able
to tell you if they use SLAAC or DHCPv6, and if the latter, you'll
need to install and provision one of the DHCP servers that supports
DHCPv6, such as perhaps isc-dhcp-server or kea.