[Semibug] Question on max VDEVs in Zpools

N.J. Thomas njt at ayvali.org
Fri Dec 31 04:48:26 EST 2021

* Mark Moellering <markmoellering at psyberation.com> [2021-12-30 15:10:42-0500]:
> Is there a?? limit to the number of VDEVs I can put in a zpool? If I
> want a huge zpool, can I put 100+ VDEVs into a zpool??? Trying to
> figure out practical limits.

Interesting question. If I am reading them correctly, a number of
documents online (including the Wikipedia ZFS entry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS#Capacity) claim this to be 2^64
("number of devices in any zpool"), but I couldn't find hard evidence of
this in the OpenZFS source code as I quickly perused through it. (Keep
in mind I was just grepping casually though.)

hth,
Thomas