[Semibug] OpenSSL and Certificates [Was] Random passwords?

Jonathan Drews jondrews at fastmail.com
Sat Jul 17 15:24:01 EDT 2021

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 05:09:24PM +0000, Thomas Levine wrote:
> Mike Wayne wrote:
> > I rather despise having to install a package (or, much worse,
> > multiple packages) for something so simple.
>
> openssl is in base.

Thanks for the sugestions folks. The random password question brings
up a bigger question: "How does SSL secure transactions"? I looked at
two explanations:

What is Secure Sockets Layer?
https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/s/ssl.htm
and
What is a Certificate?
https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/c/certific.htm

Both of these were not very detailed.

My understanding is a socket is a port number and an IP address. Is
that correct? Could the location of CUPS be a socket?
https://localhost:631

After all isn't localhost just a synonym for 127.0.0.1?

Any books or sources you guys can recommend on SSL? In particular
OpenSSL? I did read the docs at OpenSSL.org:

https://www.openssl.org/docs/

But I am still mystified as to the mechanics of SSL and why OpenSSL
was necessary.

--
Kind regards,
Jonathan