[Semibug] Using Jitsi as both as a client and server

Jonathan Drews jdrews at mail.com
Sat May 29 05:24:00 EDT 2021

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 08:24:13PM -0700, David Billsbrough wrote:
> Hello Jonathan,
>
> the "free" one hosted at the previous mentioned link.  I usually just
> 'cheat' and just use a 'Win7' desktop machine to
> 'attended' the meeting and THEN 'ssh' into the machine like a VPS server

Hi David:

 The test of Jitsi is a great idea. I have been testing it here by
running two laptops with https://meet.jit.si/. The problem I ran
into was I named my Jitsi session "Test" and had all sorts of
visitors from all over the world. I propose we use
https://meet.jit.si/ and name the meeting:

OpenBSD SEMI BUG Test Meeting

That is the name you will enter in the "Start Meeting" dialog window
at https://meet.jit.si/. You will then be joined to the meeting.
I'll already be there. The name of the meeting is sufficiently
obscure that I doubt we will have any interlopers. Anyway, I am
offering two meeting times:

Saturday, 29 May, at 1900 EST (East Coast Time)
and
Sunday, 30 May, at 1900 EST (East Coast Time)

People on the East coast and in Michgan should be done with dinner
by that time.

You can test Jitsi by using two laptops as I did. One ran OpenSUSE
Linux and the other OpenBSD 6.9. The problem is that if both laptops
are near each other you get squealing feedback from the closeness of
their microphones. So I had to mute one session.

I still have to find out how to schedule meetings and implement a
password. The St. Louis UNIX Users Group (https://www.sluug.org/)
uses Jitsi on a frequent basis. Jitsi can display LibreOffice
Impress presentations. You can display your desktop and do
demonstrations in an Xterm.

I joined SEMI-Bug because as good as SLUUG is, they spemd a lot of
time on Virtual Machines and Containers (Docker for instance). But
as far as I can tell there are only two *BSD people there. I am more
interested in *BSD and less in the container implementations.

Kind regards,
Jonathan