[nycbug-talk] OpenBSD Temp Job

Thomas Carlyle carlyle1789
Sat Dec 27 18:17:46 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm a BSD newbie with a request which I hope will be
appropriate for this list:

I need to hire some short-term OpenBSD expertise.  If
you or anyone you know in the OpenBSD community needs
some extra cash and fits the below profile, perhaps
you can forward this message to them.

Job: Set up software on OpenBSD laptop
Start: ASAP - Early January
Duration: 5 - 12 hours, at your convenience
Qualifications: Know KDE, FVWM well.  Be able to
internationalize KDE (or offer internationalized
alternatives).  Crypto/security competence a plus.
Salary: Name it

I would like to use OpenBSD for my field laptop, but
with no nix experience it is taking me too long to
figure out how to install and configure the software.
I'm inviting someone with experience running OpenBSD
for office (email, spreadsheet, etc) purposes to come
in and install/configure software on my laptop.  The
specific requirements are listed below.  I'm looking
for someone who knows this stuff well; I'll look over
their shoulder taking notes.  I would expect that they
run OpenBSD currently on one or more of their systems.

a.  Email.
Text-based client such as Mutt is fine.  Must be able
to handle POP/IMAP over SSL and text in Arabic, Farsi,
Chinese, and Russian.  Import my old messages (mbox
format) and integrate with PGP/GPG.

b.  PIM/Office Software
KOffice is great, but I need to add Arabic, Persian,
Chinese, and Russian fonts and need to be able to
store address/calendar information in those languages.
 Need to be able to print hi-res text in said
languages, create PDFs with characters from said
languages.

c.  Web Design
Install web design software that is usable by beginner
(have used the Macromedia packages, but understand
they're not available for *nix).  Nothing fancy, just
optimize images for web display and do basic layout.

d.  Sound
I am using a Toshiba Portege 7010CT.  Need to get
sound functional if possible (maestro2e) -- import and
export .mp3s to/from cassette tape and/or radio.  May
involve enabling drivers in kernel or playing with
BIOS.

e.  fvwm
Configure the thing so that my windows aren't
unbearably ugly.

f.  Crypto
Configure software to encrypt selected directories.
(I am aware that OpenBSD doesn't have the best
partion-encryption functionality.)

g.  Wireless/Modem
Get Cisco 350 aironet pcmcia card up and running,
recommend modem card and get PPP functional.

Name your salary.  I prefer to pay for results as
opposed to by the hour.  This is a pretty basic job
but you'll need to work quickly (or cheaply, take your
pick) and show me what you're doing.  I can meet you
anywhere in NY or DC or points between.