[nycbug-talk] BSD on a desktop

michael lists
Sun Aug 1 07:26:38 EDT 2004

on 20040731 11:53 AM pete wright had written...

> ...pete strap's on his asbestos fireman suit....
<snip>
> For me it's really the tabbed shells that won me over with using GNOME
> or KDE.  You can use tab's in gnome-term, but it's kinda crappy compared
> to konsole.  if you have not tried it out, the default shortcut is
> ctl+shift+t to make a new tab, and shift+left/right arrow key moves from
> tab to tab.

To empathize... I migrated from KDE to fluxbox a while back but really
missed konsole tabs. I know I could use 'screen' for this purpose but I
was used to fact I could see all the tabs and know which one was logged
on to the database and which one was ssh'd here or there. I also liked
to <shift><left/right arrow> to move around.

I spent a few weeks trying out different terms (x,a,e, etc) and settled
on aterm. No outstanding reason, it just suits me. It seems quick and
light, is highly customizable, and generally not distracting. I want to
concentrate on the work, not the term (or the root window for that matter).

I customized my .Xdefaults for bg, fg, cursor color, etc. I could put
all the custom stuff there, I guess I really haven't completely settled
on dimensions and fonts and... whatever to be the default for all terms.

I made a few adjustments to my .xinitrc so 3 terms would launch right away.

aterm -sb -sr -g 115x30+50+200  -fn 9x15 -fb 9x15 --saveLines 15000 &
aterm -sb -sr -g 115x30+50+200  -fn 9x15 -fb 9x15 --saveLines 15000 &
aterm -sb -sr -g 115x30+50+200  -fn 9x15 -fb 9x15 --saveLines 15000 &

And then made some changes in fluxbox...

So they would be grouped, I added "aterm aterm" to my group file. This
is also handy because anytime I open a new aterm it will be added to my
existing group.  To me, this is a *huge* benefit of fluxbox.

After that I added some entries to the keys file to mimic konsole tab
movement:

Shift Right :NextTab
Shift Left :PrevTab

So it may not be the Perfect Term, but it works for me.
Michael