[nycbug-talk] Article on Unix and open source

Louis Bertrand louis
Mon Aug 2 11:19:33 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, G.Rosamond wrote:

> http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/07/28/2057223
>
> The article is titled "can gnu ever be unix?", but the author
> repeatedly refers to gnu and bsds.
>
> Thoughts?

The BSDs are pretty good about making sure that innovation doesn't
break existing programs and APIs. It's just what the developers do.
Certification would spend money and effort that could better be used
for development.

As for RMS, he seems to be doing flip-flops in a logical cul-de-sac.
    "When a free software advocate looks at the same thing,
    she will see a nasty, unethical license. "I don't care
    how 'powerful' it is, if it takes away my freedom," she
    will say. "Let's start writing the free replacement now!"
So I wonder how many GPL'd programs needed to be replaced by more
openly licensed ones to keep BSD free?

Ciao
 --Louis  <louis at bertrandtech dot ca>