[nycbug-talk] Advice on setting up a RAID array

Matador matador-gtabug
Mon Aug 2 22:01:14 EDT 2004

As far as a raid card that works out of the box with FreeBSD 5.x.

I can tell you from experience, that the Adaptec 2410SA does a nice job.

# dmesg | grep aacd
aacd0: <RAID 1 (Mirror)> on aac0
aacd0: 76292MB (156247808 sectors)

When I first booted up from bootable cd to install the o/s ; I was
delighted to see /dev/aacd0 as my drive to partition.

This is the reason why I got the card.

Its a 4 port SATA card.  As far as getting > 500gb ; well you'd most
likely have to go with 4 * 200+ gig hard drives to acheive it.

I can tell you, it was fun running the raid 1 and pulling out a sata
cable while the o/s and process' were running.

I was doing a Beavis and Butthead type laugh as I did it.  Then I
reconnected the cable, rebooted, went to adaptec's config bios, and saw
the drive rebuilding the array.

Then I rebooted, and of course the o/s booted.

Then I pulled the #1 cable (the one that it was rebuilding *FROM*) ;
rebooted, and when I restarted, I lost all data.

Anyway, 2410 has my thumbs up.

Cheers,

--Matador