[nycbug-talk] Tomcat + JDK 1.4 on FreeBSD

George Georgalis george
Thu Aug 5 19:20:04 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 05:07:24PM -0400, Fred McCann wrote:
>I would like to run tomcat in production on FreeBSD and I'm currently
>trying to weigh that vs. running it on some distribution of linux. Is
>anyone on the list currently using java on FreeBSD? If so what are you
>seeing for performance and how are you running java? Is it one of the
>linux 1.4 jdks running in linux compatibility mode? Is anyone running
>the native BSD port?
>
>I tried installing the native port last night, but I couldn't get it to
>take. It was requesting the linux jdk from sun:
>
>j2sdk-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.bin
>
>Unfortunately the only version I could find on the sun site is:
>
>j2sdk-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin
>
>Which stopped me dead (until I figure away around it).

I think there is something in at least one BSD that allows you to run
linux binaries, but that file, I think, is a self extracting shell
script license and binary(ies) which would have run under the emulator.

Oh wait, there is a 4 page article in issue 7 (summer 2002) of daemon
news I picked up at the meeting last night (heh, thought it was
current), I can't photocopy it because a lot is printed with red
background and my digital camera is on the brink.

...oh wait, http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/java-tomcat/
same authors/title, updated this year.

// George

--
George Georgalis, Architect and administrator, Linux services. IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/  cell:646-331-2027  mailto:george at galis.org
Key fingerprint = 5415 2738 61CF 6AE1 E9A7  9EF0 0186 503B 9831 1631