[nycbug-talk] pkg_add and precompiled repositories

George Georgalis george
Sat Aug 14 15:29:36 EDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 08:45:36PM -0400, mlists at bizintegrators.com wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 08:22:04PM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:

>> >export PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.5/packages/i386/
>> >pkg_add ${PKG_PATH}package-x.y.z.tgz
>>
>> In that case I would just program a function or alias (new_pkg_add) that
>> takes $1 (package-x.y.z.tgz) to do the magic "check-n-use PKG_PATH or
>> execute a pkg_add $PKG_URL/$1"
>
>You can do directly: pkg_add http://server/package
>
>I'm not sure this will pull dependencies, haven't used it in a while.

it says it will...

     http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=pkg_add

     Some packages may depend on other packages.  When resolving dependencies
     pkg_add will first look at already installed packages, then match depen-
     dencies with the list of packages left to install, then install default
     packages that satisfy the dependencies.

,that's openbsd. it looks like dragonfly has figured it out already.

    http://www.forknibbler.com/handbook/packages-using.html

    If you do not have a source of local packages then it will probably
    be easier to use the -r option to pkg_add(1). This will cause the
    utility to automatically determine the correct object format and
    release and then fetch and install the package from an FTP site.

    # pkg_add -r lsof

    The example above would download the correct package and add it
    without any further user intervention. If you want to specify
    an alternative DragonFly Packages Mirror, instead of the main
    distribution site, you have to set PACKAGESITE accordingly, to
    override the default settings.

     -r      Use the remote fetching feature.  This will determine the appro-
	     priate objformat and release and then fetch and install the pack-
	     age.

// George

--
George Georgalis, Architect and administrator, Linux services. IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/  cell:646-331-2027  mailto:george at galis.org
Key fingerprint = 5415 2738 61CF 6AE1 E9A7  9EF0 0186 503B 9831 1631