[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD ISO's

freebsd freebsd
Tue Aug 24 10:47:18 EDT 2004

From: george at galis.org
Date:  Tue, 24 Aug 2004 07:29:48 -0400

>On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 06:31:06PM -0400, Sunny Dubey wrote:
>>On Monday 23 August 2004 18:12, freebsd wrote:
>>> Whats a "Signal 11" ?
>>>

>>Something usually caused by hardware problems. ?Maybe you have faulty RAM ? ?
>>Try running memtest86
>>

>or clean your cdrom!
>
>// George
>

>--
>George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
>http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org
>% Be sure to check out our Jobs and NYCBUG-announce lists
>% We meet the first Wednesday of the month

I was thinking, I am getting "Write failures" not "read failures" so does that mean anything? I would think its more a hard drive problem. Another symptom is that when it is copying from the cd it slows down to like 3kbps from like 1700kbps, then it fails. This also only happens when I try to do a full install with all the options. If I do a minimal install its ok, but I do get that "signal 11" message, but then the machine boots ok and I can log in and get on the net and eveything.

I bought this machine from rackmount.com with freebsd installed but it was 5.1, since I need 4.1 I deleted all the partitions and then installed 4.1 and thats when I started seeing these issue. I contacted rackmount.com and told them about the errors, they said they would have a tech get back to me but also that their equipment was not certified for 4.1, that seemed strange to me that they would say that its not certified with the most current release version, but that was customer service so maybe they don't know what they are talking about.

Jerry Mascari

Sent via the WebMail system at slikstik.com