[nycbug-talk] Gmail

Kevin Reiter tux
Tue Aug 24 16:58:37 EDT 2004

> hey just curious, do they still have that clause in the license stating
> that they can search and index your inbox for use by advertisters etc?
> from what i've heard it's a pretty great service aside from that.

Here's the whole policy, copied directly from their Policy page:

Gmail Program Policies

Updated as of June 28, 2004

To uphold the quality and reputation of Google Gmail, your use of Gmail is
subject to these program policies. If you are found to be in violation of
our policies at any time, as determined by Google in its sole discretion, we
may warn you or suspend or terminate your account.

Please note that we may change our policies at any time, and pursuant to our
Terms of Use, it is your responsibility to keep up-to-date with and adhere
to the policies posted here.
Prohibited Actions

In addition to (and/or as some examples of) the violations described in
Section 3 of the Terms of Use, users may not:

    * Generate or facilitate unsolicited commercial email ("spam"). Such
activity includes, but is not limited to
          o sending email in violation of the CAN-SPAM Act or any other
applicable anti-spam law
          o imitating or impersonating another person or his, her or its
email address, or creating false accounts for the purpose of sending spam
          o data mining any web property (including Google) to find email
addresses
          o sending unauthorized mail via open, third-party servers
          o sending emails to users who have requested to be removed from a
mailing list
          o selling, exchanging or distributing to a third party the email
addresses of any person without such person's knowing and continued consent
to such disclosure
          o sending unsolicited emails to significant numbers of email
addresses belonging to individuals and/or entities with whom you have no
preexisting relationship
    * Send, upload, distribute or disseminate or offer to do the same with
respect to any unlawful, defamatory, harassing, abusive, fraudulent,
infringing, obscene, or otherwise objectionable content
    * Intentionally distribute viruses, worms, defects, Trojan horses,
corrupted files, hoaxes, or any other items of a destructive or deceptive
nature
    * Conduct or forward pyramid schemes and the like
    * Transmit content that may be harmful to minors
    * Impersonate another person (via the use of an email address or
otherwise) or otherwise misrepresent yourself or the source of any email
    * Illegally transmit another's intellectual property or other
proprietary information without such owner's or licensor's permission
    * Use Gmail to violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and
publicity) of others
    * Promote or encourage illegal activity
    * Interfere with other Gmail users' enjoyment of the Service
    * Create multiple user accounts in connection with any violation of the
Agreement or create user accounts by automated means or under false or
fraudulent pretenses
    * Sell, trade, resell or otherwise exploit for any unauthorized
commercial purpose or transfer any Gmail account
    * Modify, adapt, translate, or reverse engineer any portion of the Gmail
Service
    * Remove any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notices
contained in or on the Gmail Service
    * Reformat or frame any portion of the web pages that are part of the
Gmail Service
    * Use the Gmail Service in connection with illegal peer-to-peer file
sharing

Security

You must promptly notify Google of any breach of security related to the
Services, including but not limited to unauthorized use of your password or
account. To help ensure the security of your password or account, please
sign out from your account at the end of each session.

Account Inactivity

Google will terminate your account in accordance with Section 9 of the Terms
of Use if you fail to login to your account for a period of nine months.