[nycbug-talk] null modem vendor...

alex at pilosoft.com alex
Thu Aug 26 20:58:25 EDT 2004

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, George Georgalis wrote:

> >> Now I'd like to try accessing BSD via serial cable, I understand I
> >> need a null modem cable but my favorite vendor shentech.com doesn't
> >> have them, only the big/little male/female type.
> >You can take one of those and use a straight cable.
>
> Huh? first I thought "null-modem" meant the same thing as cat-5
> crossover. ...talk to talk and listen to listen no worky...
Nullmodem can be built into a cable. Or it can be built into adapter.

Nullmodem cable = nullmodem adapter + straight cable

> (There's the jack size difference too... parallel size to regular
> serial.)
There's DB-9 to DB-25 adapter to get around it.

> >> what's a good vendor for these things? mail is fine but I don't mind
> >> walking in the city to get it...
> >CompUSA has them.
>
> I checked a few office supply shops, they had big little, but no little
> little (sorry guys I don't know the name of those jacks) so I'm starting
> to wonder how specialized this thing is.
DB-25 (big) to DB-9 (little) is not a null modem, it is just an adapter.
You want null modem, DB-9 to DB-9. It is commonplace enough that even
staples/compusa has it.

-alex