[nycbug-talk] highpoint RAID drivers on FreeBSD

Charles Sprickman spork
Mon Dec 13 14:39:56 EST 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Isaac Levy wrote:

> The nutshell version, the HighPoint has FreeBSD drivers for their 1640 SATA
> RAID card on their website, it's just the installing disk drivers on boot
> volumes that bites.  These things are cheap, solid, SATA RAID- who doesn't
> want that? (regardless if I want it, I've now got one :)
>
> If anyone can point me to the right person, or URL, I'd seriously appreciate
> it- this situation is right on the cusp of being VERY cool, IMHO.

Can you tell us more about the driver?  Is it tacked-on to the existing
ATA stuff, or is it more like the 3Ware (which presents itself more like a
scsi device to the OS)?  If the latter, a quick shout on -hackers should
find you the right person.  A few people that may or may not work on this
stuff but are quite smart and easy to work with are:

-Mike Smith (really really great guy - if he's got the time and the commit
bit, he'd probably help)
-Scott Long (mostly adaptec stuff, but who knows...)

And while I appreciate Soren's work, he's not the most cooperative or
helpful person in the group, so I'd steer clear.

Again, if this is a more scsi-like driver, asking on -scsi is good - most
anyone who works on any RAID cards is going to be there.

Charles