[nycbug-talk] Mail message headers

Francisco Reyes lists
Sun Feb 1 07:17:51 EST 2004

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, G. Rosamond wrote:

> did some googling. . . http://support.shaw.ca/networks/internetabuse.htm
> check out section E.

Good link. Thanks.

> this virus has been spoofing addresses left and right.  up to 85% of my
> mail has been this virus.

Lately it has been pretty bad. I am almost tempted on deleting all mails
with 'hello' and 'test'. Lately the amount of those is just too much.

I use mailfilter to delete certain emails even before downloading them. I
am just afraid a family member or friend will send a generic email with
the word 'hello'

> it would be logical that if mail servers were performing dns lookups,
> this whole mess would cease.

I use popfilter and mailfilter to try and handle spam, but even then it's
very annoying all the spam that still goes through. Then there is the need
to double check your spam folder to make sure something valid did not go
through.

>  my domain has been rbl'd a few times, but
> frankly, it's completely idiotic if mail servers aren't authenticating
> incoming mail in the most basic way. . .

RBL by domain and not IP?
So far I have only seen RBL by ip, which to me is what makes the most
sense since it is so easy to forge the from field