[nycbug-talk] 5.1 -> 5.2 upgrade

Scott Robbins scottro
Sun Feb 8 15:42:13 EST 2004

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 03:34:28PM -0500, Mikel King wrote:
> Scott,
>
> I've heard mixed results abound. My buddy Pete over at Mozdev did a
> binary upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2 and it was all good, supposedly his
> production boxes are all happy.
>
> There've been a few reports though of stability issues from other camps,
> I think there was a slightly negative article on /. recently but then
> again that's no surprise, and from what I remember the issues were
> mostly regarding wifi cards. Personally I am waiting for a seriously
> compelling reason to move my boxes from 5.1 to 5.2. If this is
> production work that you can't run 4.x for then I recommend sticking to
> 5.1 and waiting for 5.3. Also keep in mind I've heard tell that there
> may be a 5.2_1 update to fix some of the booboos.

Yes, logic would indicate waiting. There is really no compelling reason
to do it (some folks have said 5.2 is better--my own experience has been
6 of one half a dozen of the other for my needs) save curiosity.

A lot of it will depend upon how busy I am this coming week--if I have
time to kill, then I might just do it, since as I said, if I simply have
to take this box down for a few hours and reinstall, it's not a big
deal.

Thanks for the input.

One oddity--I have noticed that the boxes that gave me trouble had
OpenOffice on them, and I have seen several reports of people having to
reinstall OpenOffice after an upgrade. This box, being a server of
sorts, doesn't have it.

On the other hand, I don't see ~what~ that could have to do with
installworld, and feel as if I'm grasping at straws.

Or I might just wait a bit longer for the 5.2_1 you mentioned.

Sigh, decisions, decisions.   (I should be grateful I have enough luxury
at times to play this way).

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Cordelia: Buffy, these men are rich, and I am not being
shallow. Think of all the
poor people I could help with all my money.