[nycbug-talk] RE: Close port 110

Jan Schaumann jschauma
Wed Feb 18 12:55:47 EST 2004

Matthew Lam <chun_lam at hotmail.com> wrote:

> OS: FreeBSD 4.9 now  just installed
>
> Right after install.  I checked port 110 by "telnet localhost 110"  the
> following message appear just like FreeBSD 5.0
>
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

Ok, so we've established that there are no services listening on port
110 on your machine.  I would say that's a pretty good thing, as I would
be pretty upset if a machine, out of the box, had a number of ports
open.

You need to figure out if you have any pop3 daemons installed on your
system.  I don't know if FreeBSD comes with any out of the box or if you
need to install them from ports.

*If* you have a pop3 daemon installed, then you should check
/etc/inetd.conf to see if you have a line that tells it to start that
daemon.  If that line is commented out, uncomment it and restart inetd.
If there is no such line, add it and restart inetd.

If you do *not* have a pop3 daemon installed, go and install one.  Then
add the relevant line to /etc/inetd.conf and restart inetd.

Either way: read the documentation for whatever pop3 daemon you install
or use.  This is pretty independent of whatever unix-like OS you're
using.

Things you want to read: inetd(8), <your-pop3-daemon>(8)

-Jan

--
Life," said Marvin, "don't talk to me about life."