[nycbug-talk] new. . .ibooks. . .

G. Rosamond george
Wed Feb 18 19:58:52 EST 2004

->-----Original Message-----
->From: talk-bounces at lists.nycbug.org
->[mailto:talk-bounces at lists.nycbug.org] On Behalf Of michael
->Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 7:24 PM
->To: talk at lists.nycbug.org
->Subject: Re: [nycbug-talk] new. . .ibooks. . .
->
->On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:38:25 -0500
->"G. Rosamond" <george at sddi.net> wrote:
->
->>
->> don't know whether to make the move for a ibook or powerbook.  if i
->> purchase new, recommendations.
->>
->> i realize the ppc world is very different than that of
->intel.  so how
->> concerned should i be about an 800 mhz box?  i've seen
->comparisons to
->> the p iv, p iii, etc, and they seem good.  what about ram?
->>
->
->I'm curious too.  I looked into a new ibook a few weeks back.
->Yes, it looks vvveeerrryyyy cool, but, that price tag seems
->high.  Start with a base 12'' and add some memory, a little
->more drive, AirPort Extreme Card (who could resist that
->name), an extra battery and BAM !! you are over $1,500.
->Dunno, maybe I don't fully comprehend the market now-a-days
->or I'm just a cheapskate.

$1500 isn't as bad as it looked to me today.

$1200 for base of 12", $99 airport card, $100 for upgrade to 640 meg,
$200 for applecare. . .that's $1600.  blah.  i think i'm going to hang
out by ivy league colleges with a stocking on my head.

->Another thing that has kept me away:  In the [free/open]*
->world that we've chosen to compute in, it seems contradictory
->to lock into a single vendor for hardware.  What if you need
->a part... your choices are limited (back to the OEM).
->However, USB and Firewire help alot for external devices.
->
->No one can argue; they are great machines and look very nice.
-> Prudence will steer me elsewhere.
->
->Michael
->
->*No religious offense intended by the choice of words

i'm going to have to talk to my priest about that. . .

->
->--
->---
->talk mailing list