[nycbug-talk] BSD in the enterprise....

Isaac Levy ike
Tue Jun 1 10:49:51 EDT 2004

Hi Nigel, All,

I know I'm a bit late responding here, but I really wanted to add some
ikestyle history here about BSD's in 'Corporate' enviornnments.

First things first, BSD and Linux come from different places, (and btw
I'm not interested on starting some flame war here re. BSD vs. Linux).
The BSD's, ancestrally, come directly from early UNIX systems dating
back to the original Bell Labs UNIX of 69'.  Various UNIX'es, in the
latter third of the 20th century, defined what was computing in
corporate environments.  Unix has been a part of large corporate
environments as long as computers have dominated the corporate working
process.

It was the PC revolution which changed the corporate computing
landscape.  The gradual switch from mainframe servers, to heavy use of
client/workstation computers in the corporate workplace, (and now back
to an interesting balance of the two).  UNIX systems size and relative
complexity was more than any sane PC could handle at the time, which is
why UNIX has a hardcore reputation living in big iron.  PC operating
systems and software had to be re-thunk, (much like many chandheld and
embedded devices today [think cellphones]).

Microsoft has dominated the PC Corporate desktop/workstation from the
start, and with that, as the internet moves us back into a networked
WORLD, the server is again taking the spotlight- (though not nearly the
singular role it had in past decades).  With this change, MS Server
products came to dominate the corporate server landscape based on the
fact that they already run the PC systems that people came to touch,
see, and rely on.

But, with that, UNIX has never gone away- and in fact, various *nix'es
matured and grew technologically well in advance of MS, in order to
compete with the massive marketing/market resources of MS (and others).

--
Rewind to 1990-ish, PC systems have passed a threshold where UNIX can
sanely run on a PC chipset- the mature Berleley Software Distribution

At this point in time, the chipsets for most servers is the same as
most desktop PC's out there, (I'm talking about the masses of machines
out there), primarily driven by the internet boom.  Linux gained
mindshare as being a new frontier, and has championed the formalization
of Open Source for the last decade, being pushed into new environments,
and embraced by exited entrepreneurs as much as by hackers.  BSD on the
other hand, has simply been put into service in many mission-critical
environments I've seen- no fuss, no mascot logos in sight, and often in
BIG or old iron.

On May 29, 2004, at 2:03 AM, Nigel Clarke wrote:

> What will it take to have *BSD in use in corporate environments? Linux
> was not successful until companies like Solaris and IBM started to
> endorse it. When I say successful, I'm speaking of making it into
> corporate environments.

Here's the basics of why- with all due respect to a lot of intelligent
people, the majority of the corporate world are NOT techies- but rely
almost completely on technology.  With this, their IT decisions are
guided by trust and reputation, as well as clear marketing.  The BSD's
have survived on technical merit, which says a lot.  (Even in the 70's,
Ken Thompson was quoted noting something about all the UNIX marketing
hype being good for all UNIXes back then).

IBM's dependancy/hate relationship with Microsoft is WAY to big to
tackle here, but in a nutshell, they have been carrying the Linux
battle flag as a way to escape being under Microsoft's thumb- (after
their own failed OS).

> One of the other advantages that Linux offers is that it is economical.
> That and stable vendor support make it an easy decision for management.

There are noteworthy strengths and weaknesses for both the BSD and
Linux families, but I'm really interested here in what you speak of
when you speak of stable vendor support?  I understand that IBM is
perceived as a stable choice, but have you seen this undermine any
other unix system out there?

> How does BSD compare? How will BSD make it into corporate environments?

Short answer- it's already in there, and BSD's tight UNIX ancestors
have arguably shaped the core of corporate computing since the
beginning...

Rocket,
.ike