[nycbug-talk] Help getting FreeBSD current to boot (5.2.1 release does work)

pete wright pete
Sun Jun 13 14:27:41 EDT 2004

On Jun 13, 2004, at 2:21 PM, Jonathan wrote:

> pete wright wrote:

>> i'm game to help you out but i think the folks on the list would need
>> a bit more info your setup, like hardware specs etc.  also if you
>> could post the output of a "dmesg."  also, are you trying to boot off
>> GENERIC or is this a custom kernel?  If custom, try booting off
>> GENERIC.  finally, i would post the "uname" of the release that boots
>> fine.
>> -p
>
> Booting GENERIC 5.2.1 and trying GENERIC -current
>
> The computer is a Pentium I 233MHz with 128MB RAM (My desktop has
> problems too but the 233 computer will be dedicated to FreeBSD so I
> want to get it working first).  I have a site I can post anything on
> to avoid large on-list messages as well if that would be better for
> this list.  I will post a transcription of the error messages and a
> boot -v later but I'm in the middle of a 12 hour
> buildworld/buildkernel (trying -current dated 5 May 2004 to see if
> that works).

thanks for the info, also when you boot with newer builds where does
the boot process hang?  I noticed some error messages relating to an
ATA disk, altho i am not sure those are just diagnostics or what yet.

-p