[nycbug-talk] Protecting a CD

marco at metm.org marco
Fri Jun 25 11:01:26 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 10:20:28AM -0400, Bob Ippolito wrote:
<snip>
> them to use the software.  One way to make it easier to sue the hell
> out of them may be to watermark the data with the customer's
> information in such a way that it's not easily detected (and thus, not
> likely to be removed)...

One take I have seen on watermarking is to deliberately mispell words in
such a way that they are readable (like the spammers) but difficult to
spellcheck.  I guess that the idea is that the misspelled versions are
so improbable that should they make it onto the net you can find the
leak.

  eg. examples => epeamxls

in context:

  There are a lot of epeamxls of this, but ...

Is readable, but not spellcheckable.

The most prominent example I have seen is this manual to a free software
equivalent to Pro Tools: http://ardour.org/manual.pdf

--
Marco