[nycbug-talk] arp questions

Okan Demirmen okan
Tue Jun 29 13:34:52 EDT 2004

On Tue 2004.06.29 at 11:22 -0400, Pete Wright wrote:
> hey all,
>    i've got a question regarding ARP on FreeBSD 4.10.  I have two
> machines (archiver and homer).  each machine has two interfaces, one on
> our 100Base-T LAN and another on our seperate Gig-E LAN.  Each interface
> is given a different name, so the gig-e interface for homer is
> gate-homer (don't ask why we use gate-hostname wierd SGI thing...).
> Anyway when I perform a large NFS copy via the "gate" interfaces is get
> this error in my syslog:
>
> arp: 192.169.3.10 is on em0 but got reply from xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:ee on fxp0
> (let's pretend that's a valid MAC address, the last two bits are the
> only interesting part anyway).

uhm, are you positive that the two networks are not touching each
other?  it looks like the two networks are bridged without
spanning-tree. unless of course, you have say a sun box with multiple
nics on the two netowrks, all with the same mac address; that works
fine, but if other boxes are on the same networks in the same fashion,
you can run into arp issues.

> sure enough the MAC address that ends in :ee is the MAC addr. for the
> 100Base-T connection on the NFS server, not the mounted gig-e
> interface.  wierd eh?  So what's happening, does anyone have an idea?
>

> Cheers,
>    Pete Wright
>

> --
> ~~~oO00Oo~~~
> Pete Wright
> email:  pete at nomadlogic.org
> mobile: 917.415.9866
> web:    www.nomadlogic.org/~pete

Okan Demirmen <okan at demirmen.com>
PGP-Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB3670934
PGP-Fingerprint: 226D B4AE 78A9 7F4E CD2B 1B44 C281 AF18 B367 0934