[nycbug-talk] brief USENIX report

G.Rosamond george
Wed Jun 30 18:51:26 EDT 2004

Well, Jesse and I have been in Boston at USENIX since early Monday
afternoon.

Jesse is heading back to NYC tonight, and I'll be here until Friday.

We have only some a little time in the meetings.  Last nights meeting
by Kirk McKusick and Pete Salus about the history of UNIX was the only
full meeting I have personally attended so far. . .and it was
brilliant.  Lots of stuff on the earlier notions of 'open source'
development with programs such as vi, the legal BSD battles, etc.

We have gotten to know so so many people.  Great conversations with
Michael Lucas, Eric Allman, Scott Long of FBSD, Bosco of FBSD, Andrew
who lives in Queens and is a NetBSD developer. . .so many very cool
people.

Since we were in the publisher's area with BSDMall/DN, we were with
Addison Wesley, ORA and No Starch.  We had many extended discussions
with all of the publishers.

We hopefully can have Kirk McKusick do a special meeting in October,
when he's in the city. . .it will coincide with the updating of The
Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System. . .being
released by Addison Wesley in the next couple of months.

Everyone who has an iBook or a PowerBook now has a Daemon sticker. .
.of course.

Jesse spent some quality time with Daryl, a NetBSD developer, trying to
dual boot his OSX PowerBook with NetBSD, and is just caught up with
keyboard issues.

Anyway, sorry that more of you couldn't make it, but we'll be sure to
fill you in. . .We have a box of the USENIX magazines for distribution
at the next meeting. . .