[nycbug-talk] Fw: Newsletter from O'Reilly

G. Rosamond george
Fri Oct 1 23:56:16 EDT 2004

On Oct 1, 2004, at 4:04 PM, Dru wrote:

<snip>

>> BSD does not interest him.  He sees BSD is boring, backwater, and low
>> market value.  There is no sizzle... no sales... no end-of-year bonus.
>

> That being said, we're starting to see more media pieces showing that
> Linux
> isn't quite as hip as it was a few years ago. There are more pieces
> showing migrations _away_ from Linux and instability issues and
> misgivings about the GPL. BSD advocacy should be taking advantage of
> this...

But from what I see, the attacks on Linux are about it being open
source, and the attacks on the GPL are also cloaked attacks on open
source.  Yes, maybe an opening for BSD and the license, but we are also
targeted by attacks on open source.  It's not just about MS happening
to prefer the BSDs and license to Linux.

When SCO started its attack on Linux, *some* BSD people argued this was
a great chance for "us," seeing that BSD was retarded by the early 90's
court cases. . .Understood notion, but dead wrong.  It didn't take long
for Darl to mention us too.

When Linux is attacked as open source, we stand with it.  When its
sloppy model of development is in question, we concur, IMHO.

> Speaking of advocacy, I posted a message requesting pointers to
> advocacy materials for an Open Source booth and a BSD talk to all 3
> BSD mailing lists.
> My results: 1 request that I scope out donations for a Canadian mirror
> and a private email asking me why I posted to the OpenBSD list. I'd
> say that BSD advocacy has a helluva long way to go.

Oh, surprise. . .

There's a core concerned about general *BSD advocacy. . .we have to
deal from there.

Dru: when did you notice the scenery?  ;-)