[nycbug-talk] Rob Pike Slashdot Interview

Jesse Callaway jesse
Mon Oct 18 19:55:46 EDT 2004

On Oct 18, 2004, at 5:03 PM, Isaac Levy wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2004, at 4:40 PM, csnyder wrote:
>
>> Intriguing -- I thought one of the big takeways was the Unix Room at
>> Bell Labs, where development happened because programmers weren't
>> isolated in their own offices.
>
> Heck yeah- been missing this kind of thing for a while.  I work alone
> 99% of the time, being self-employed, so I envy the idea of being
> around people...  (and being at the wifi cafe in my neighborhood, even
> though half the crowd is on a laptop, doesn't necessarily mean that
> anyone else is hacking anything at all- (mostly folks doing their
> mail, writing in word processors, surfing the broadband net, etc, and
> I'm the freak in the corner who catches folks staring blankly at my
> screen full of shells).
>
> I'd really love to carve out someplace to congregate ad-hock regularly
> and work around other indie folks... (or even just folks who can
> untether from the cubicle), and work on actual work stuff, or other
> stuff...  But focus would be to casually go about whatever work one is
> doing.  Not like an installfest, where the focus is to learn very
> directly, but to just do one's work and hang out 'around the coffee
> machine', metaphorically.
>
> Hrm....
>
> I'm kindof thinking out loud here, but I do have a sweet amount of
> space here in williamsburg, it would be fun to host some open hacking
> workdays... (wifi, coffee, ashtrays, and an ok stereo... [which could
> turn into beer into the evening] <g>)
>
> Would anyone really care to schlep out here?  Or does anyone have any
> better ideas?  Should I find a couch for my office? :)
>
> 'Brooklyn Labs'?  (er, sorry Gman, I mean 'Villiamsburg Labs')
>
> Rocket-
> .ike

I'm all over this. However, I would get really freaked out if your
stereo turns into beer, or even the coffee for that matter. vote kerry.
I was talking with a friend of mine about setting up a space and maybe
charging money for juice or a membership. Entrance always being free, a
membership would have like some other privileges. Your own cup or
something.