[nycbug-talk] did you guys know this?

Scott Robbins scottro
Tue Oct 19 23:09:41 EDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 10:52:49PM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Dru wrote:
>
> >http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq3.html#ISO
> >
> install option. For those that need a bootable CD for their system,
> bootdisk ISO images (named cd35.iso) are available for a number of
> platforms which will then permit the rest of the system to be installed
> via FTP. These ISO images are only a few megabytes in size, and contain
> just the installation tools, not the actual file sets."
>
> In general, I'm fond of ftp installs anyhow.  It is nice that there's a
> "mini" multi-platform ISO to kickstart the process on floppy-less boxes.

Not to mention floppy quality control, which has become an oxymoron. I
remember the first time I tried to install OBSD--I think I went through,
literally, 5 or 6 floppies before getting one to work.

TOTAL THREAD HIJAKC --err HIJACK.

Seems that 5.3 is up to stable--I had thought it would be RC1, but did a
buildworld and got stable.

Quick note--for anyone intending to do a portupgrade of openoffice to 1.1.4--cvsup your ports if
you haven't since last night.  A bug was discovered by (modest cough) me in a patch--sent a quick
email to the maintainer, who sent a patch for the patch, and shortly afterwards, another fellow
who I guess is another maintainer sent an apologetic email--apparently a mistype on his part--and
it is now fixed.

So see Tillman, it's a good thing I drink all that caffeine, or it might still be broken.  :)

Y'know though, it's things like that where one considers--could you see that happening with
Windows XP?    And actually, considering I don 't know enough to be able to figure out the exact
cause of the problem and send a patch myself, probably wouldn't have happened in Linux either.

So, take ~that~ OSviews.  (see, note how I cleverly brought it back to the original--oh, never
mind, that was the other thread of the night)

Ok, I'll stop now.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Xander: Jeez. You mean Oz just sent for his stuff and didn't even
call her? That's pretty harsh.
Anya: I only wish I had my powers back. I'd liquefy his entrails
for her.
Xander: That's sweet.