[nycbug-talk] how to test dying disks?

Dave Steinberg dave-dated-1098901605.c003f7
Wed Oct 20 14:27:13 EDT 2004

> I've got a new one for myself here, and am shouting out for a url or
> somesuch to point me in the right direction.  It's low priority here,
> this is for personal fun...
>
> I've got a fistfull of failing drives here.  I'm not sure exactly how
> to properly diagnose the broken drives, and don't want to trash the
> ones which are still funcitoning- but I'm even having problems booting
> with the drives plugged in (disk geometry crapola).
>
> Does anyone know any good shell utilities to diagnose and help me sort
> out which drives are good and bad, any BSD os?  Looking for something
> which justifies the time spent doing this over just purchasing some
> new drives...
>
> Perhaps tools I can use after booting from CD?  (btw, I'm stumped as
> I've grown up in the Mac world of drive repair, always simple and
> intuitive gui tools for this kind of thing when I need it...)

Atactl can provide details on SMART values if your drives support it.
Then again, I've never really come across anything too interesting from
SMART diagnostics, but maybe I just haven't seen the right disks.  It
always felt like black magic to me, so I dunno.  :-)

Regards,
--
Dave Steinberg
http://www.geekisp.com/