[nycbug-talk] how to test dying disks?

marco at metm.org marco
Wed Oct 20 14:35:54 EDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 02:17:15PM -0400, Isaac Levy wrote:

>Does anyone know any good shell utilities to diagnose and help me sort
>out which drives are good and bad, any BSD os?  Looking for something
>which justifies the time spent doing this over just purchasing some new
>drives...
>
>Perhaps tools I can use after booting from CD?  (btw, I'm stumped as
>I've grown up in the Mac world of drive repair, always simple and
>intuitive gui tools for this kind of thing when I need it...)

the va-ctcs are just some perl scripts which run generic programs like
gcc to test hardware. It includes a test for hardisks.  It is linux based
(developed my va linux), but may work for the bsds as it uses pretty
generic stuff. (perhaps trish knows... :)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/va-ctcs/

also there is this older project specifically for ide harddisks that
analyses the smart info (never used it)

http://csl.cse.ucsc.edu/smart.shtml

--
Marco