[nycbug-talk] RFID passports

Bob Ippolito bob
Fri Oct 22 13:18:14 EDT 2004

On Oct 22, 2004, at 12:59, Jesse Callaway wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2004, at 12:00 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>> Speaking of which CryptoGram is now RSS as well as the familiar
>>> monthly email.
>>>
>>> <http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-rss.xml>
>>>
>>> Time to pull out the collection of anti-static bags and keep the
>>> shiniest! This works with EZ-Pass, where there is most likely more
>>> wattage.
>>
>> EZ-Pass uses an active transponder (self-powered, uses a battery) and
>> runs on a completely different frequency than the kind of passive
>> transponder (powered by the reader's signal) that would go into a
>> passport.  The same techniques aren't necessarily going to work.
>
> I'm certain that if you wrap your passport in foil you'll see no
> outside EMF inside the little rectangular space. And since you say
> it's a passive transponder, you shouldn't see much inside of the magic
> space either. It would need to be some sort of toxic ray in order for
> dense anti-static bag not to block it.

Well, not knowing what frequency they're using in particular, it's hard
to say.  "no outside EMF" is definitely not correct for foil.  It will
*probably* prevent the RFID tag from being read in this case, but
without knowing the specifics or without having tried it I wouldn't
assert that it works or not.  I've worked with passive RFID tags that
can be read from tens of feet away over two years ago.. with current
technology at a much closer distance it might be able to work through a
thin layer of foil.

-bob