[nycbug-talk] BSD Success Stories (fwd)

Dru dlavigne6
Mon Oct 25 20:39:28 EDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Brown, James (Jim) wrote:
<huge snip>

> Here's a case in point- IBM supports Linux on their HS20 BladeCenters.
> If they at least supported a BSD installation, there would be
> more interest from corporations wary of Windows DLL hell and not
> impressed with Linux either, especially RH Advanced Server.
>
> There *should* be another choice.  But right now there isn't because
> of the lack of IBM support.  And companies can't put their money into
> BSD if there isn't at least a supported option.
>
> HP is the same way.
>
> These are a very strong platform for BSD and they *can* be made to:
> 1. work well; and 2. be supported by IBM/HP.
>
> If this could be done- I think more interest and committment would
> roll our way.

Call me an organization freak, but when I see a need I have a tremendous
urge to:

-find out the extent of that need by gathering as many facts as I can
-create awareness of the existence of that need
-organize a campaign to get that need filled

What can I say? I'm hyped up for EuroBSDCon as my talk (I hope) will at
least get people thinking about the frameworks that are needed but
missing. In the past year, I've seen a lot of things that need to be done,
a lot of people who would be willing to go up to bat and give it a try,
and a dismaying lack of organization.

Dru