[nycbug-talk] ucarp

Isaac Levy ike
Mon Aug 1 09:25:58 EDT 2005

Hi Steve,

On Aug 1, 2005, at 8:59 AM, Steve Rieger wrote:

>>> question
>>>
>>> i have these two lines in my /etc/rc.local
>>>
>>> ifconfig bge0 192.168.254.226 netmask 255.255.0.0 alias &
>>> /usr/local/sbin/ucarp -v 1 -p passwd -a 192.168.254.226 -P -s
>>> 192.168.254.228 &
>>>

>>> do i need the ifconfig alias or not. it seems that the .226 ip
>>> does not get assigned unless i put it in there,
>>>

>>> also even though i have -P in the ucarp line, the secondary
>>> server still shows up as master in the logs. what is i doin wrong ?
>>>

>> What is the problem exactly?
>>
>> And what OS are you using UCarp with?  FreeBSD?  NetBSD?
>>
>> Rocket-
>> .ike
>>

> fbsd 5.4
>
> the problem is that my backup server .228 comes up as mastrer in
> the logs, but i dont think that it actually comes up as masrter.
>
> also when using ucarp to bind a virtual ip addy should one use
> ifconfig alias first to bind the ip to both boxes or will ucarp
> bind them ass needed.

I'm not so certain if ucarp is really all that stable/cared-for any
more, insomuch as there's full-on system-level CARP in FreeBSD now,
so I'd seriously not muck about too much with ucarp unless you have
to.  What about just trying carp as-is (i.e. is there any reason you
need ucarp in particular?)

Rocket-
.ike