[nycbug-talk] Trusted Computing Opinions?

Hakim Singhji hzs202
Thu Aug 4 10:05:49 EDT 2005

On 8/1/05, Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I just wanted to take an informal poll to see how everyone feels
> about 'Trusted Computing' in general.
Overall, I do not trust much of what these large publicly traded
software companies do. And  IMHO TC just makes more reason for people
like me (university students and the like) who have a large body of
users at our fingertips to advocate and support the use of Open Source
Applications.

> I know what the FSF thinks of Trusted Computing, what do the BSD
> people on this list think about it?
I can only speak for myself however, I am probably not alone in the
hopes that the mix of proprietary and open-source software will create
a co-dependency for organizations that will  prove of a greater value
($$) to the org than what TC proposes.

I firmly believe that TC could compromise the open-source movement and
end up a giant leap backward for the software development industry.
However, please consider that I am a student... so what do I know, eh!

Best,
--
Hakim Singhji
hzs202 at nyu.edu
"Where danger is, grows the saving power also" (qtd. in Heidegger 28).